Slim Chance for Religion? - But That's Not Enough

General philosophical discussions on eastern & western philosophies & religions

Moderator: Club Operations

Slim Chance for Religion? - But That's Not Enough

Postby malemi » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:54 pm

I was raised by Moslem parents who wanted me to be modern, so they sent me to a Catholic school (little did they know, huh?) Which was all right.


I learned a lot from that experience. My mother lost the little belief she had in God after the 1979 Iranian revolution. My dad maintains a secular belief in Islam to this day. One time when I was very young, I asked him why did he still do the five-times-a-day prayers.
"Is it so that you will go to Heaven, when you die?" I asked.
"No,” he said. “That's not the reason.” Then he elaborated: “I think there
might not be a Heaven or Hell. 95% chance that it's all a lie. But 5% chance that it might be all true. So I perform the required tasks and I keep the faith, just for that slim chance."

Years later, in a philosophy class, I read that Descartes, the French
philosopher had, couple centuries ago, said the same thing. He's the guy who said, I think therefore I am. Check it out. If there is only one philosophy book that you'll ever read, let that be his "Pensee."
User avatar
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:33 am
Location: Washington, D.C., U.S.A.

Return to General Philosophy & Religion Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest