Help identifying this image of Reza Shah The Great?

Pahlavi and after (1925 AD - present)

Moderator: Club Operations

Help identifying this image of Reza Shah The Great?

Postby blackmetal37 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:09 pm

Hello.

I discovered this image of Reza Shah The Great(he does look more ominous in this one that normal due to the quality) from some archived reverse image search leading to a now-deleted twitter post, and cannot find this image anywhere else, nor find any context of it.

Could anyone help me find the source or context of this image?

I believe the person standing behind him is his son, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.

I'm not entirely sure but I was looking more into other images, and while Reza Shah is wearing a different uniform in this next image, if you look at the right-most person, it appears to be the same background person in the previous image(again I think it's Mohammad Reza Pahlavi), same suit, same haircut. This was their visit to Turkey (do not remember the year).

Thank you for any help!
Last edited by blackmetal37 on Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackmetal37
Private

Re: Help identifying this image of Reza Shah The Great?

Postby IPC » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:10 pm

Hello and welcome to the club.

The top picture is unclear where it was taken but looking at Reza Shah’s outfit, he rarely dressed up this formal abroad, so possibly this picture was taken in Iran and the person at the back is not the person at the most right in the bottom picture. They have different suits and one on top has longer hairdo but for sure this person is not Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi.

The picture at the bottom was taken in Ankara Museum at Turkey because it says on the picture in Persian. You can see Reza Shah is not dressed so fancy, just a military coat and outfit. He is with a group of Persian and Turkish officials and military officers. Mohammad Reza Pahlavi is in none of the pictures. In 1934 Reza Shah travelled to Turkey to meet Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. Hope this info helps you.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds (English)
Pendare Nik, Goftare Nik, Kerdare Nik (Modern Persian)
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta (Avestan Persian)
IPC
General
General

Postby blackmetal37 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:23 pm

IPC wrote:Hello and welcome to the club.

The top picture is unclear where it was taken but looking at Reza Shah’s outfit, he rarely dressed up this formal abroad, so possibly this picture was taken in Iran and the person at the back is not the person at the most right in the bottom picture. They have different suits and one on top has longer hairdo but for sure this person is not Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi.

The picture at the bottom was taken in Ankara Museum at Turkey because it says on the picture in Persian. You can see Reza Shah is not dressed so fancy, just a military coat and outfit. He is with a group of Persian and Turkish officials and military officers. Mohammad Reza Pahlavi is in none of the pictures. In 1934 Reza Shah travelled to Turkey to meet Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. Hope this info helps you.

Thank you very much for the deeper clarification, maybe this will help me narrow down the hunt for the context even deeper!
blackmetal37
Private

Postby IPC » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:11 pm

Hello

Are you writing a research for school, book, or?
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds (English)
Pendare Nik, Goftare Nik, Kerdare Nik (Modern Persian)
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta (Avestan Persian)
IPC
General
General

Postby blackmetal37 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:49 pm

IPC wrote:Hello

Are you writing a research for school, book, or?

Nope, just pure interest, especially because I also have a love for "rare or lost media", such as old WW1/WW2 photos that have never been seen before, stuff like that, so the fact that this image is so hard to find makes me much more interested in it. Of course, I also have a deep interest in Reza Shah himself.

Also, I used another website to search for images, and led me to this twitter post:
https://twitter.com/nXshort/status/1455908121201762304

I used Google Translate, and the user says "سمت راست تندیس رضاشاه است!" or "The right side is a statue of Reza Shah".
First, it looks way too accurate to be a statue, and second, someone on another site mentioned it was by the artist/sculpture "Ali Akbar Sanati", but when I look on the internet, or pictures of his museum, nothing mentions Reza Shah.

Quick edit: Reading into it, perhaps this was a newly found photo of the sculpture, as this happened:
"However, his museum in Tupkhaneh was ransacked by rioters during the coup which toppled the nationalist government of prime minister Mohammad Mossadeq in 1953, and most of his sculptures were destroyed."
blackmetal37
Private

Return to Modern Iran Room